Application, Proposal & Commission
CDIS in engaged in a collaborative process for selecting an artist that will be commissioned for the outdoor art installation. Below are the key elements of each stage in the process. Additional details for the project as well as the process from applying to commission are available in CDIS Outdoor Art – Call for Applications (PDF).
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Application – Completed
Application Deadline has Passed
Interested artists were asked to provide the following information:
- Artist Information: To better understand you and your art, please do the following in a one to two page statement:
- Describe any connection you have to Wisconsin and/or the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Describe your qualifications including similar projects you’ve completed, art methods you prefer working with, and any other information that would be helpful.
- Share why you are excited to create the outdoor art piece for the new School of Computer, Data & Information Sciences (CDIS) building
- Provide any additional information you believe would be relevant to this project.
- Current Resume: Please keep it to a maximum of four pages.
- Work Samples: Please provide images of your previous work following these guidelines:
- You can provide up to nine images
- Each image should be a jpeg sized at 520 pixels x 520 pixels (72dpi) jpegs. If your images are not square, please have the longest side measure no more than 520 pixels.
- Save your image files the following way: LnameFname_01.jpg for example SmithJohn_01.jpg
After this stage, the Advisory Selection Committee reviewed the submitted materials and developed a list of semi-finalist artists. The list will be reviewed by the UW campus art committee and the CDIS executive user group.
Proposal – Due May 4, 2023
Deadline: Tuesday, May 4, 2023
Chosen semifinalists will be invited to meet with the committee virtually. The semi-finalists will be invited to propose an artwork specifically for the CDIS Building. The semifinalists will craft a detailed proposal for an artwork including an itemized budget, scale models and renderings, timeline, and an in-depth project description. For this they will each be paid an honorarium of $5,000.
Artist proposals will be judged competitively by the Committee. Submitted proposals become the property of UW-Madison.
All applicants, regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, origin, or physical challenges, will be considered.
Commission – Completion by Winter 2024/2025
Selection of Finalist: Spring 2023
Final Design Drawing: Summer 2023
Fabrication Completed: Spring 2024
Installation: Winter 2024/2025
The finalist will be selected by April 11, 2023. The budget for the commission will be as follows:
- $70,000 flat fee paid to the artist
- $60,000 has been budgeted for fabrication and the artist will be given reimbursement on a milestone basis
- $120,000 budget for shipping, and installation costs